9.16.2007

Book Madness

Chris's post about book buying reminded me of my recent splurge. But, there was something a tad different about mine. I went to our local book store last week armed with a gift certificate. A young man that was a student at the university where I work, and who had worked for our department, left to get a job in Wisconsin. He gave me the gift certificate. It was a very sweet gesture and wonderful surprise. I'd like to think I was a good influence on him...

Anyway, this is what I bought with it:

Exit Strategy by Kelley Armstrong - Angela's review at Scifichick sold me on this one. It's about an ex cop turned hitwoman who teams up with a contact to hunt down a serial killer.

The Hard Way by Carol Lea Benjamin - the cover has a tough looking dog on it - a pit bull - which grabbed my attention. I seem to be in the PI story mode and this one sounded interesting.

High Five and Hot Six by Janet Evanovich - Stephanie Plum, Morelli, and Ranger. Need I say more? I think I have the first four... at least I hope so. I know I have the first three. Hmmm...

A Secret Rage by Charlaine Harris - Harris writes the Sookie Stackhouse Southern Vampire series, which I've enjoyed immensely. This one, however, sounds completely different. It's about a former NYC model who moves to a small town in Tennesee only to discover there is a serial rapist on the loose. To quote from the back of the book: "And as Nickie gets swept up in a string of brutally violent crimes, she must tke matters of justice into her own hands..."

I'm looking foward to each and every one of them.

9 comments:

Chris said...

How cool! That was so nice of that guy. I'm sure you have been a wonderful influence on him :) I haven't heard of any of those except for the Evanovich books. Hope you enjoy them! Isn't it fun splurging on books...even more so when it's not your money?!

DesLily said...

ahhhh, there's nothing quite so nice as a gift certificate to a book store!! bless his pea pickin' heart!

MyUtopia said...

They all sound super cool! Can't wait to hear more.

* Big announcement is being made over at my blog, go and check it out.

cj said...

Chris and Deslily -

It really was nice of him and totally unexpected. And I love spending money that isn't mine! It's the best kind to spend if you ask me.

Myutopia -

I'll head over there directly. And they've moved to the top of my list since I bought them. No wonder my TBR pile rarely diminishes...

cjh

Trish said...

TBR piles diminish?? Such a novel idea!

BookGal said...

What a great gift ... enjoy the reads. BTW, I love Ranger and Morelli!

cj said...

Trish -

Awww, c'mon! I can always hope, can't I??

Bookgal -

Ranger more than Morelli for me, however.

Bookfool said...

Wow! That's probably the best way I can think of to go on a splurge. :)

cj said...

Bookfool -

It was wonderful. Wish I could do it more often!

cjh