10.11.2007

Booking Through Thursday 16

Live and In-Person October 11, 2007
Filed under: Wordpress — --Deb @ 1:01 am

I said in August, when we talked about fan mail, that I planned on expanding that to live meetings when the time was right. Well, that time is now!

Have you ever met one of your favorite authors? Gotten their autograph?

How about an author you felt only so-so about, but got their autograph anyway? Like, say, at a book-signing a friend dragged you to?

How about stumbling across a book signing or reading and being so captivated, you bought the book?

Don’t forget to leave a link to your actual response (so people don’t have to go searching for it) in the comments—or if you prefer, leave your answers in the comments themselves!


Let's see... I live in a relatively remote area of the United States. We don't get many authors wandering into the local bookstore. That said, however, I have met one of my favorite authors, Steve Hamilton. He writes a series of books called the Alex McKnight series and it is set, loosely, in this area. He usually makes a visit once a year. I've been to one of his signings. I went later in the event and I was the only one there for about 10 minutes. He signed my book (A Stolen Season) and we chatted for several minutes. He recommended a couple of authors and we discussed his characters like they were real people. It was great.

As for the other two questions - nope. No such luck on either.

11 comments:

GeraniumCat said...

It would be cool to have a book about the area where you lived signed by its author, I think.

We don't get a lot of authors where I live either - by British standards it's remote!

DesLily said...

Isn't it fun to meet the author of a favorite book?!! It's just too bad that you get rushed through and don't have a chance to really ask questions. I think some smaller places that have signings should also have a Q&A time for fans to ask more questions of them.

BooksPlease said...

There are a few authors living in my part of the world - but not that I meet. Some of the bookshops have signings but I've never been to one. I usually only find out after the event!

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts said...

That would be cool to have a few minutes to chat with an author without the pressure of a line of people behind you!

pussreboots said...

Sounds like you had a nice time. Happy BTT.

Melody said...

It's always fun to meet authors in person! You get to learn a lot about them through conversations and discuss about books! I'm still hoping and keeping fingers crossed that my favourite authors will visit our country one day!

Happy BTT!

cj said...

Geraniumcat -

The small bookstore in my town (Book World) has had a couple of authors in for signings but Steve Hamilton is the only one I'd heard of and read. We're a long drive from anything close to a major city. But it was fun to chat with him.

Deslily -

It was fun to meet him and chat with him. The best part was to hear his explanation as to why he would set his series in this area - he said there's no other place like it and he's right. We're pretty unique and damned proud of that fact.

Booksplease -

I found out about Hamilton by visiting his web site. Most authors have them and have their tour dates/places listed. If not for that, I wouldn't have known.

Barbara -

It was great to talk with him. Like I said above, he answered my main question and explained somethings. It was cool. He's a great guy, especially considering he has to travel here from New York.

PR -

I did. I wish I'd remembered he was going to be here the last time. Maybe I could've found out if he was working on another Alex McKnight book.

Melody -

Do authors, besides the BIG ones, that is, do international tours? If so, I hope they come your way.

Thanks, everyone, for dropping by.

cjh

BookGal said...

Very cool story ... getting to chat with an author is way better than a long line and a quickly signed book.

Literary Feline said...

That is a great story! I get so tongue-tied when face to face with an author. I wish I could have an intelligent conversation with one about his or her book. :-)

MissMeliss said...

I always love it when I'm reading a book based where I live, or have lived, especially if it's a place that's relatively obscure.

There is a series of mysteries, for example, that take place at the old Lone Mountain College for Women campus (now a part of University of San Francisco), which made me laugh because we used to go ghost hunting up there, late at night.

cj said...

Bookgal -

I haven't done the long line thing, but I'd have to agree; getting to chat is a lot of fun.

LF -

Well, Hamilton was gracious and certainly helped the process. He asked if I'd read his latest book and what I thought of it and then I asked him my why question and that gave us something to talk about. No idea what would've happened if he'd been different or I hadn't wanted to ask him that question.


Missmeliss -

First, I love the screen name. And the books sound like they'd be great. The ghost hunting connection is wonderful. I've got nothing quite so spectacular but it's still fun to read about places I know and have been.

cjh