10.07.2007

Sunday Musings

This is shift change weekend, which throws me into a semi-dazed state because I never know when to sleep. I worked last night and got off at 7 a.m. this morning. I don't work tonight but I do work Monday night at 11 p.m. So, I'm exhausted but don't want to go to bed too early because I need to sleep in. Does that make sense?

The Detroit Free Press has a Sunday book section. Most of the time I glance at the reviews and see little that captures my interest. Today's page, however, had this quote across the top:

"All children become sad in the late afternoon, for they begin to comprehend the passage of time."


It's the first line of The Theory of Clouds by Stephane Audeguy

That's the only thing there is about the book; no review, no synopsis, nothing. It's the one book they mention that I think I might be interested in and they tell me nothing about it. *sigh*

Does that mean I'm really out of the main stream when it comes to books?

They list the following as the top five sellers:

You've Been Warned by James Patterson - I haven't read any of his works yet but my sister and my niece keep telling me I'd like them, or at least one of his series.

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini - this one is on my TBR list

Dead Heat by Dick and Felix Francis - love Dick Francis so I'll probably get around to this one eventually.

Making Money by Terry Pratchett - I've got some of his books in my ever increase pile of books I want to read.

Pontoon - Garrison Keillor - I've listened to his radio program and thought it pretty funny but I haven't read anything by him.

So, two out of the top five are books I'll read and two are probables. So, maybe I'm not all that out of it.

Now, I think I'll go and see what I can find out about that other book...

cjh

6 comments:

Debi said...

I can see why that line caught your attention...sounds like it might be quite intriguing.

I love the Alex Cross series by James Patterson. Quick, suspenseful reads...certainly nothing deep going on. But I really them. Enjoy his Womens Murder Club series too, but not quite as much as the Cross ones.

I haven't read anything by Terry Pratchett yet, but I really, really want to.

Nymeth said...

yay for Terry Pratchett! "Making Monkey" has been #1 for two weeks over here.

I hope you enjoy his books when you get around to them :)

cj said...

Debi -

That's what I thought but after reading the review over at Amazon, I'm not so sure. I'll have to check into it a little more but I do love that line.

It's the Cross series that my sister and niece like and I think I'll give the Women's Murder Club a look see when it premieres.

Nymeth -

So, is it called Making Monkey? I could've sworn the paper had Making Money...

I'm looking forward to them because so many people who's opinions I've come to trust have said they're good. (Which includes you, btw)

cjh

Nymeth said...

lol, Making Monkey...I'm laughing at myself here. It IS Making Money...is not being used to typing on a laptop a good enough excuse for me? :P I really need to re-read my comments before I post them. Sorry!

Bookfool said...

I've never read James Patterson, but You've Been Warned has generated some interesting conversation in my book group. Nobody could figure out what exactly the ending meant and everyone had a different interpretation, so one of the ladies wrote to Patterson. They're on pins and needles, waiting and hoping for a reply.

I love the quote. Strange that they didn't say anything about the book, beyond quoting the first line.

cj said...

Nymeth -

It's funny, really, because I wasn't at all sure that the paper wasn't wrong. Kinda shows I don't have much confidence in it, doesn't it?

Bookfool -

I hope they get a reply. I hate endings like that be it in a book or a movie.

I thought it was weird about the quote. But, it did get me to go looking, so that's a good thing.

cjh